Hello Alex and everyone Probably you are using the best method for borrowed items. I've heard that antifreeze (ethylene glycol) will keep leathers permanently supple (but eek! to putting that on a parchment). A product used by museum exhibitors, and on saddles to keep leathers supple is Lexol, possibly it is antifreeze in a more refined form. I have a couple of small parchments that were stored rolled for a long time. I've used one by placing it over a bolster pillow, weighted with a bath towel to flatten it.
Hope this helps? or prompts further discussion. On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Alex Stillwell <[email protected]>wrote: > Dear Arachnids > > I have been given some prickings to act as caretaker for while the owner > moves > to a smaller house and until she makes up her mind what to do with them and > I > have been given permission to use them. There are some tightly rolled > parchments and I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on how to > soften > them so that can unroll them without causing any damage. I know the old > lacemakers would wrap them in a slightly damp cloth until softened, then > place > a heavy weight on top until dry - like pressing flowers. Does anyone have a > better method? > > -- Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada - To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to [email protected]
