In the bookbinding world, parchment is well known as "practically indestructible". My local library has a parchment book from about 1340 that is still in very good condition. Dryness is one of the few things that can make parchment brittle enough to snap. I think those old lacemakers knew what they were talking about - increase the humidity of the parchment and you will be able to unroll the prickings without damage.

I remember, some years ago on this list, somebody who put their rolled parchment pricking in a steamy bathroom for a few days, and that did the trick.

I wouldn't worry about too much humidity - I recall a story about a famous old book (the Book of Kells? I'm not sure), written on parchment, and when it was re-discovered the farmer who had found it was regularly dunking it in his cattle trough, on the theory that what was obviously a holy book would keep his cows protected. The parchment didn't suffer much damage from it - in fact, the major damage the book suffered was from Victorian-era bookbinders brutally trimming its pages so they would be nice and even.

I would brush water on the outside of the roll and put it in a plastic bag for a couple of days, then unroll until you find it dry, and repeat the process until the whole thing is damp enough to unroll easily.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)


Dear Arachnids

I have been given some prickings to act as caretaker for while the owner moves to a smaller house and until she makes up her mind what to do with them and I
have been given permission to use them. There are some tightly rolled
parchments and I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on how to soften
them so that can unroll them without causing any damage. I know the old
lacemakers would wrap them in a slightly damp cloth until softened, then place a heavy weight on top until dry - like pressing flowers. Does anyone have a
better method?

Alex

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to