Jonathan Page of the Honiton Lace Shop used to be on Arachne. If he still is, perhaps he could let us know what is/has happened to the lace business.

I used to live on top of the Blackdown Hills between Taunton and Honiton. I wasn't making lace at the time, and only went to Honiton for my mammograms in a mobile unit next to the auction house, or to the excellent model shop that was there at the time.

I did go into the lace shop on one mammogram visit, and bought a Honiton bobbin which has red wire spiralling round it and "The Honiton Lace Shop Devon" inscribed round the spiral. At that time I didn't know there were different types of bobbin, so I bought the one I liked best just as a souvenir. Because I don't make Honiton lace, but love the bobbin (and I know some of you will cry "Sacrilege", but I want to use it), I chopped off the point, altered the head with a file and added a spangle once I started lacemaking so that I can use it.

Taunton in Somerset would make a good central point to stay in the west country. You can radiate out from there into Devon and Dorset on day trips, but you might need to stay overnight if you went into Cornwall.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK