Dear Clay,

One thing I would want to know is long-term safety.  Special  Laboratories,
to which I do not have access, can test such products for  long-term
effects.  Perhaps the museums and professional conservators have  had this done
"Restoration".

I will write to my contact at a large museum.  Suggest you write to
conservation staff at one of the collections near you, Clay - Smithsonian  or
Williamsburg.   *Never take the word of a sales catalog, sales  person, or TV
advertising.*

I have written many times:  People intent on profit will copy - and  change
- formulas.  I am thinking here of the Oxi-..... craze here in  the U.S.
Next thing, what you thought was a safe product has a added  scent and other
additives that you know nothing about.

Beware of shouted sales spiels on TV.  They are actors with a  script.  Not
responsible if something goes wrong with your lace heirloom or
museum-quality collection.

Beware of products that are food for micro-organisms, because something
"fancy" is added to a basic formula.

Beware of products that will react now or in the future to something like
bleach.

Beware of products that will mask the underlying problem.

Etc.   Think, before you act.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 6/9/2009 9:17:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,