Hi.  You don't say exactly what kind of block pillow so I'm assuming it's a
nine-block in a box of some sort.

The blocks should have very straight sides, 90 degrees to the top and bottom.
If you have padded the blocks with felt or anything, the padding should be only
on the top square surface and bottom square surface -- not on the sides.  The
covering on the sides needs to be as thin and flat as possible so two blocks
can fit together without any air spaces.

When the blocks are in their box/base, you may need to insert a spacer between
the blocks and the edge support to push the blocks tightly together.  This can
be a strip of anything sturdy that's the width needed -- thin wood like a
tongue depressor, cardboard, plastic.  You will have to squeeze your blocks to
see how thin or thick a spacer is needed.  You might have to do this on two
edges of the pillow.

You might still have the tiniest of spaces at the cracks between the blocks.
You may need to set your pins at a slight angle if a pinhole lands right on the
crack.

I have heard of some people putting a layer of felt under their pricking when
working on a block pillow.  This adds just a bit more support when working
across the cracks.

If the blocks are carefully covered, there should be a minimal space to deal
with.  The main thing is to keep the sides very flat and smooth. No extra
padding.  The blocks will then fit closely enough that it's not much of a
problem to slant a few pins.

Alice in Oregon -- getting ready to go to Sweet Briar Lace retreat and see
tourist sites in Virginia