Hello,

Sure

Queyras is in the south of french Alp. (wonderfull country)

Queyras pillows have a box in the middle. The ornementation are make with a kniffe. The name of this pillow is tambour (drum).

The Queyras lace is very special made without pricking. It came from Belgium, near Anvers. Women who travel with Napoleon army showed there lace to Queyras women. The back is point de Paris.

Bobbins are big and heavy. They are carv with kniffe too.

You need many bobbins to make lace. I let you image the difficulty to make this lace on this pillow!

Claire le Goaziou book : (sorry I don't find the english version)
http://www.barbara-fay.de/j/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=6&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=406&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66&lang=fr

Her friend Françoise Monneret made books of pricking and graf from old laces.

And pictures on this blog (at the end) :
http://nanoudu05.canalblog.com/archives/2008/06/06/9474574.html
http://blondecaen.chez-alice.fr/creul705.htm
Pictures too on www.dentellieres .com  (out of order today)
http://mirecourt.free.fr/4e_couvige_3.html (Françoise Monneret)

I have got at home a tambour du Queyras and bobbins. (from Marc Amblard) If some body want I can take pictures.
I give the only Queyras lace I made (on it!!)

Have a good day

Sof in France

And I always very happy to read so many mails on arachne.

With big sun

Ilske Thomsen a écrit :
Hello Vicki,
it's not Jean it is Ilske answering,
Those boxes comes from the region of Queyras and around there. You find those carvings on several things as well as on the sides of the round pillows. The bobins are carved in that matter as well. In the book from Claire le Goazion "Dentelles du Queyras et ses vallées voisine" all those things are described.
Hope this helps.

Ilske