I wish I had known this before and it makes lots of sense. I have been trying to wind in a tidy fashion but obviously will go for the diagonal method more in the future. I have just wouud silk onto 40 pairs and started the first little tiny bit last night. They would very nicely and a couple of knots came out easily, which surprised me, so now all is well and I am slowly bringing the pairs in and over the next couple of evenings should have the pattern working as I want it.
Sue T

Recently bobbin winding was mentioned, and I think I remember a comment about thread not being very neat when wound using a string to turn the bobbin.

For newer bobbin lacemakers, the thread on a bobbin is not supposed to be wound neatly with the threads next to each other. The thread should be wound at a slant down and up so that the successive windings cross the previous windings at an angle. If you have had any trouble losing your hitches into the thread, give this winding method a try.

Alice in Oregon -- getting ready to fly out tomorrow morning for Virginia and Lace at Sweet Briar. I get to play tourist a few days before the retreat starts, visiting Williamsburg and other historic locations.