Further to Diane's query about whether her pieces of lace are hand or machine lace she has sent me a scan which I've uploaded to: http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/arachne/dianes_lace/ dianes_lace.htm
I have cropped and compressed but still big images to show the detail

Diane said
The one without a cloth trail I think is machine as there are no pinholes anywhere. The other one has pin holes where the plaits cross.

Thanks for the help.
(I think both need laundering as they smell very musty, but I will be very careful and check the archive for advice)

Personally I think they are  both hand made.
The top image does show pinholes on some of the crossings (top left of image) and the petals, though even enough are all a bit different, not to mention the centre crossing

The lower image is definitely handmade as the working direction varies.

BTW I wouldn't call either of them torchon, the top one is Cluny, the lower one Cluny with "Russian braid" influence.

What does anyone else think?
--
diane

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent