I have just recently had the good fortune to meet a lovely Romanian
woman who lives in Portland, Maine, and in the course of our
conversation I found that she had a small collection of Romanian point
laces made by her mother and mother in law in the 1970s.  She was kind
enough to photograph them for me, and to write a short article
explaining them.  This is the first opportunity we have had to post
anything in Romanian on the Archives web site, so if anyone out there
would like to read the article in this language, we were thinking of
you.  For the rest of us, she made a nice translation into English.

What I like about this collection is that it is the work of ordinary
housewives, at home, using traditional patterns exchanged and varied
as desired between neighbors and friends.  We all know Angela
Thompson's extensive exploration into the subject, and I was able to
show my copy of Romanian Point Lace to Marina, who was quite amazed to
think that something that she considers so ordinary to be of such
interest to lacemakers around the world.

See <http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/webdocs/sm_2009.pdf>

Tess (tess1...@aol.com) in Falmouth, Maine, USA, where it has been
raining for at least two weeks.  Today it is so dark that I have had
to turn on the lights in the house at ten in the morning to see my way
around!