Hi Debora -

I have one excellent suggestion. Alex Stillwell has been studying Bucks Point lace for many years, and to her surprise, most of the books she had seen in the past were referencing only the much older books about Bucks. So, she set out to really study Bucks Point and to examine it with a critical eye. The first result has been "All about making Geometric Bucks Point Lace", a very thorough and thought-provoking manual on this kind of lace. She addresses every single skill that you could possibly imagine in a well-thought-out series of usable projects. And each skill is carefully explained in plain English, with excellent diagrams to add to the understanding of the concept. I highly endorse this book. Not only does it subscribe to the "old" understanding of how this lace was made, it also recognizes that this lace was not consistently made anywhere on earth - not at a working lacemaker's hearth, not in the same home, not on the same piece!!! So, the lesson to modern lacemakers is to understand the fundamentals of Geometric lace, and to then apply these "rules" as best suit the piece you're working on. Having met her and studied with her, I can endorse the validity of what she says. Her books are clearly written, and are a breath of fresh air for those who want to pursue Bucks Point. She is currently working on "All about making Floral Bucks Point Lace", and this promises to elevate the art to a much higher level!

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA, USA

Debora Lustgarten wrote:
Dear Clay,
I'm working on Bucks at the moment, but I find that as I learn more about lace, my likes change.... My long-term goals are being able to replicate Medieval lace patterns and to try my hand at some Blonde or even Chantilly (if my sight allows, that is). I'm lucky to have found several books on Bucks, not only Mrs. Channer's. They include Pamela Nottingham's, Bridget Cook's, the UK Lace Guild introduction and others, so I think I'm covered at the moment. However, if you have suggestions, I will love to hear them!
Thanks for your kind thoughts,
Debora L.