Are you sure you need a longer needle? I am not sure what 3-ply wool
is (the ply system for sizing yarn isn't used much outside
Australia/NZ, AfAIK), but unless it's an exceedingly thick yarn
(unlikely if you're using 3.25mm), most shawls should fit on a 1 meter
needle when the stitches are bunched close together. You're knitting a
circular shawl from the center outwards? How far along are you? Is
there really not enough room for the stitches? I've knitted several
shawls this way and can't recall any that didn't fit on a 1m needle.

Avital