I think of rayon as being made from tree pulp, and though many fibers are
being refined to "micro" fibers, and bamboo is also a tree, fibers of refined
rayon compared to bamboo, are only close cousins in "hand."

A century ago, rayon was poo-pooed also, but has evolved from it's category of
cheap and shrinking, to definitely serving a purpose.  I am sure we will find
more and more naturally occurring substances being processed for various
uses.

At some point the "green" perspective blurs in using so many chemicals to make
something natural into a fiber, then textile.  I love these new fibers, but I
don't think I will will be using them for bobbin or tape laces at this point.
 Not just because of the time lace takes, but not knowing how stable they are,
and for something that hopefully will be passed on and appreciated for many
generations to come.

As far as milk being developed to assist heart function medically, medicine is
so liability conscious, that I doubt the use something that wasn't reliable.
 (One of my sister's is a VP of a major international company specializing in
these things.)  Another, is that many heart treatments are projected to last
10-15 years, and then redone, etc.  So maybe it won't last forever, but it
must be so chemically changed that the body doesn't try to assimilate it, as a
body can even absorb a sliver from a piece of wood, etc. in a fairly short
period of time, if not removed.

All interesting!

FWIWSusan Reishus