"is this a natural fibre or not?"  David

This words gets used a lot for things that started out as natural, but have so
much chemical processing, that people question if it is a valid statement, or
at least the lines are blurred.

For instance, similar things happen with food being marketed as "natural" such
as  with sugar in it, because it is from a natural plant, but it is so
processed that many don't feel it is healthy for them, nor natural.  People
grab a drink or cereal because it is stamped "natural" but are surprised that
it contains sugar and it's slightly different process and renamed cousins,
which are essentially one and the same.

I like rayon, as it serves a wonderful purpose, esp. in textiles/clothing.
Lyocell/tencel is rayon also, just less chemically processed and rather with
more manipulation of the fiber (but generally not applicable to lace at this
point.)  I have seen lyocell/tencel called natural, and it easily joins that
category as it is less chemically processed.  Sea cell is popular in lace
knitting, as another in this 'alternative' category.

I just wonder about rayon's stability over long periods of time, esp. when
used in lace.  When used for clothing, assumably the product will wear out, or
is expected to do so, but hopefully lace will endure much past one's lifetime,
or several.

Clothings/accessories can last 20-100 years (or more if cared for), but lace
of good fiber and kept clean, seems potentially could endure much, much
longer, and I feel I need to keep that in mind when choosing threads for lace,
fwiw, and imho.

Best,Susan Reishus