Ok...I created a monster

I know, Avital, I wrote you privately talking about all the corrections I
had found.

Well, as I said I was going to do, I started re-charting the shawl pattern
to put the corrections in. However, no matter how I did it, the "inside"
inner border didn't fit in the way I wanted it to. The distance between the
center design, the inside inner border and the outside inner border was fine
going from the bottom up but not fine going from the left to the right.

So, I started cutting up graph paper and taping it all together to make more
room...and I started charting from the bottom chart up...(bottom, left side
AND right side) I found the inside inner border suddenly had wonderful
spacing, and I went to town. I also took a few liberties with other design
elements to make it even more pleasing to my eyes. 90% of it I did without
even looking at the original charts...it just started flowing like a river.
Been working on it like a possessed woman since last Thursday. I am, as we
speak, almost done with my charts. Complete up through the entire center
medallion. (very easy to pick up the rest from the lower charts...just work
downhill) I am ecstatic at the results. It is enough like the original that
I would not say it is my design but it is definitely a new "variation" of
the design. Not everything is the same. I am trying to figure out the
dilemma of how to copy them off in separate charts. I am going to have 4
rows of charts...each row will be 3 charts deep (ie, bottom will be 1.1, 1.2
and 1.3 in # and then 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3...on up to 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

I also need to put a 2 space cross-over on the edges of the charts for
matching the charts up together etc.

I can simply "copy" my charts onto 11 x 8 1/2 graph paper working from left
to right....and hope I don't "mess up". Very hard to do when you have to do
it all by hand (at least I use pencil so it can be erased LOL)

The other option I have, is to simply cut the current graphs into equal
thirds, paste them to matching 11 x 8 1/2 graph paper and add the 2 spaces
needed for matching the graphs. Then, copy them and hope the result is neat
enough to follow.

You must remember that I have taped together various bits of graph paper
here and there to accommodate my changes. Trying to match up 14 sq per inch
graph paper "perfectly" is NOT an easy job...and they may not copy off as
neatly as I hope. Oh, I should tell you that I worked on the graph paper in
"landscape" mode. The end result is so long I need to "roll it up" to store
it. I fear that if I fold anything it will definitely make it harder to copy
and to read.

I can tell you that the 34 tooth border on the bottom is now a 42 tooth
border. That should give you an idea about the change "size" wise. You will
probably approve since you have found some shawls to come up small by your
standards. I am staying with the same border...the corner turns will follow
her instructions to the letter.

I have the original 34 tooth border I made to fit her pattern. (I frogged
out all the rest) I will increase it to 42, turn the right corner and work
across the body of the pattern and turn the left corner...then go up enough
rows to get some of the pattern knit up. As soon as I am sure everything is
working the way it should, I will divide up, copy and scan everything. At
that point I will share it with you. I want to share it with Galina as well.
I think, however, I will finish it completely before I do that. I am sure
she would like to see a picture of the finished shawl as well as the charts.

Well, I am "exhausted" from the work...I have nerve damage in my left hand
(I am a leftie) and it makes the work not easy or pleasant but I am so
carried away "artistically" that it has literally bubbled out and I can't be
away from it long...I keep getting pulled back to work further. I hope to be
entirely done later tonight or tomorrow. It will feel good to start knitting
again and not have to put pencil to paper LOL. I think it was a delightful
exercise for the brain and definitely broke through any "designing" barriers
(ie lack of confidence and fear?) that I may have had about designing one of
my own shawls. There are a couple of pictures of shawls in the first book of
Galina's that I liked and would like to chart out what I think I see in
them. (not this month though...think I will force myself to wait until April
to start another chart project.) I definitely understand now why the
Medallion is the hardest of the of the Orenburg shawls. Being so beautiful
though, it is hard to resist.

Cearbhael