I am coming in a little late on this, I know. But, the Metropolitan Museum
of Art owns a lace fan done in Chantilly technique that is supposed to be
of  human hair. It also has some dress ornaments, also lace, from the same
donor.  There is a reference in Palliser, I know, to snowy locks of some kind
of English  lacemakers being made into lace. However, I don't think  that
the quote  could be applied to the MMA's piece, since ours is in Chantilly.
Chantilly is a particularly good lace for using hair, I believe. The fan leaf
is  made in oddly shaped parts, then sewn together. By oddly, I mean that
the shapes  are determined by the need for sewing together and so follow
edges of leaves or  stems, making finding the seams very difficult. However,
you
are not working a  very large piece at any time. Also, the individual
threads that are carried  along in the "gimp" and go in and out of the design
area, allow for introducing  and getting rid of hairs quite easily. The half
stitch ground is one that does  not use a lot of length, so super long hairs
may not be needed. Our hair fan is  either of blonde, or blonde, gray hair,
as the hairs are almost transparent in  their lack of pigment.
Devon

In a message dated 4/3/2010 10:57:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
al...@i2k.com writes:

Lora  <lorabutter...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On a bit of a  Victorian tangent this morning I wondered what sort of lace
would have  been used for mourning items in Victorian England and on a
slightly  different note if anyone had tried using bobbin lace techniques
for hair  work? I imagine it would be extremely fiddely and frustrating but
it could  be a good project.

I don't know about bobbin lace techniques, but  coincidentally I am working
some of the hairwork  braids from a  Victorian-era book, Mark Campbell's
1867 "Self-instructor in the art of  hair  work".
<http://books.google.com/books?id=vLdAAAAAYAAJ>
or
<http://books.google.com/books?id=BNATAAAAYAAJ>

They  are intended to use bobbins, but he used a round table with a hole in
the  center like the Japanese maru-dai (braiding stand) used for  kumihimo.

(I am using a circle cut from thick craft foam!)

Lynn  Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/
Ravelry ID:  alwen

-