I recently managed to obtain a copy of A Penderel Moody's Devon Pillow
lace, and decided to see what he had to say about pillows....  It
certainly says that the cover cloths were brightly coloured!   The
copy I have was printed in 1904 and it states:

differing in make from the old trolley shape rounded like a mis-shapen
orange to the flat mushroom pillow.  They are usually filled with
wheat straw, .............A good, serviceable pillow will
heavy cotton material, jean, or Oxford shirting,

Sue in East Yorkshire