It is a beautiful shawl, however it was made.  My vote is knitted.  According 
to the ravelry blog, it was donated to the Smithsonian.  [Folks, if you're 
going to be in Washington DC on, I believe, the fourth Thursday of the month, 
with some exceptions, try to take the behind the scenes lace tour in the 
Smithsonian American History archives.  Advance reservations are required.  It 
is an amazing thing.  They only take 8 people at a time.  Call 202-633-3826 or 
email Karen H Thompson Chesapeake Lace <[email protected]> for more 
information.]

Anyhow, I have been searching for an answer.  I first contacted the lace people 
at the Smithsonain Museum of American History.  Evidently this shawl was 
donated to the National Museum of African American History, which will not open 
until 2015.  I am pursuing either an answer to the question, or high resolution 
pictures.  Who wants to wait that long for the answer to this burning question. 
I have a call in to someone who is not expected to answer until next week, 
because an exhibit is being launched, and an email to find out if the shawl 
exists with a high resolution picture.  If I hear anything, I will let you 
know.  The people I have spoken to have been very gracious and prompt.  The 
Smithsonian is an amazing American resource.  

Lyn Bailey, Pennsylvania, where spring is in full swing, and my white wisteria 
is just beginning to bloom.


-----Original Message-----
>From: Lynn Carpenter <[email protected]>
>Sent: Apr 19, 2010 11:12 PM
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: [lace] Another lace puzzle
>
>The question is about a shawl that was recently given to the 
>Smithsonian.  It was given to Harriet Tubman by Queen Victoria.
>
>There is a thread on Ravelry about it with some photos on page 3 of the 
>thread (post 65).  Link:
><http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/needlework-on-the-net/1047016/51-75>
>
>If you are not on Ravelry, here on the same photos in the poster's Flickr set:
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/26680...@n04>
>
>Scroll down to "Silk shawl given to Harriet Tubman by Queen Victoria, c. 
>1897" (two photos).
>
>Is the edging knitted?  What about the center?
>
>Thoughts, opinions?  (And please let me know if I may pass them on to 
>Ravelry or not, thank you.)
>
>Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
>http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/
>Ravelry ID: alwen
>
>-
>To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
>unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
>[email protected]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to