Going back to my original definition:
> A textile fabric constructed from one or more threads which are interwoven or
> looped together to form a decorative pattern of open and close areas within
> that fabric.

Bobbin lace is a textile fabric with a decorative pattern of open and close
ares, constructed from multiple threads intervwoven together.
The threads are manipulated with the aid of bobbins and temporarily held in
position with pins on a pillow whilst the fabric is being made.

(Venetian style) needle lace is a textile fabric with a decorative pattern of
open and close ares, constructed from a single thread looped around itself.
The thread is manipulated with a sewing needle and some of the thread is
temporarily basted to a paper or cloth pattern whilst the fabric is being made.

However, I'm not sure that that really answers your question.  I think you
might be asking how do you recognise bobbin lace from needle lace or from any
other type of lace.  The answer to that is experience.  The more different
types of lacemaking techniques you have had a go at the more easily you can
recognise how a piece has been made.  You don't have to be an expert at any of
them, but if you have never done any BL, NL, tatting, knitting, macrame,
netting, crochet, tambouring.... you just don't appreciate what you are looking
at, and how it's different from the various types of machine lace.  To identify
those you need to do a lot of reading and look closely at as many different
pieces as you can find.  Lace identification is not something that you can
learn in five minutes, it takes years and sometimes even the experts come
across something which they are not sure about.  I can usually recognise the
technique but I'm not very good at dating lace.

Brenda

On 30 Jun 2010, at 21:44, margaret palen wrote:

> My request, "Please share your ideas about definitions for bobbin lace and
> needle lace." has grown into a lively discussion about definitions of lace.
> How do you clearly and distinctly define bobbin lace and needle lace?

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.me.uk