I'm obviously not very bright, but, having found the review of the book 'Blonde' in the Lace Guild magazine, I've just realised that the fan sticks mentioned are for a BRISE fan, a word I missed in Robin's post, which is made of several sections (a bit like bookmarks) placed on top of each other with a pivot hole through the bottom so they can be opened out. They are called sticks, but not in the sense we usually use the word because there's nothing of them showing below the leaf on the finished fan - a brise fan doesn't have a leaf. The perspex is merely a support for each piece of lace to make the sticks more rigid, not a skeleton for the whole fan.

I've been puzzling over this since it was originally mentioned, wondering how you could use something that flimsy for a fan skeleton.

Hope I wasn't the only thick one, who misunderstood.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK