Jacquie wrote:

<Are you saying that basically you use normal fansticks, but use a clear material as well to widen the normally narrow bit that the fan is attached to?>

No, you don't see fan sticks at all. A brise fan doesn't have sticks in the sense that we usually use. Imagine piling several bookmarks that you've made on top of each other and then putting a pin down through near the lower tip. You can then fan out the bookmarks. That's what a brise fan is like.

The problem is that we all usually make a semi-circular fan leaf, spread out the fan sticks and attach the leaf by some means or another to the top part of the splayed out sticks, leaving an uncovered part of the sticks visible below the leaf. A brise fan isn't like that. It's made up of separate "sticks", normally painted or decorated in some way over the whole length, pinned through near the bottom so they can be fanned out. There's usually a fine cord running through near the top edge to restrict the amount the "sticks" can splay so that the top sides remain touching each other when the fan is opened.

Originally I though as you did that the perspex or acetate was used as inconspicuous fan sticks with a semicircular leaf attached for display purposes.

If you google brise fan, you'll see what they are.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK