I do this too, a handful of bobbins with leftover thread are very useful for
eking out a too-short
thread. I'd love to use hackle-pliers, but  don't have any yet and my
lace-materials budget this
year is precisely zero so I'm using what I already have and making sure I don't
waste anything...

Beth
in Cheshire, NW England