---- Brian Lemin <brid...@bigpond.com> wrote:
To all intents and purposes, only the Northern France (Bayeux and Normandy)
bobbins have double heads and only East Midland bobbins in the UK developed the
thistle head.

Not quite true.  My favorite Continental bobbin is Swiss, which has a double
head.  Bayeux bobbins, at least the modern ones, usually have a very rounded
"cap" on the head (the part of the head beyond the "little neck").  In my
experience, rounded caps don't hold the hitch very well, so I don't like Bayeux
bobbins.  Swiss double heads have a much better, deeper groove and flattened
cap, so they hold the thread well.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com