I began bobbin lace in 1977 while living in England and heard many times
that in the "old times" it was known as pillow lace and bone lace.  I was
also told that "bone lace" was because fish bones were used to support
the threads before pins were invented.  I do have some reference to that
somewhere in one of my books. I've too much to do at the moment to search
it out. So, Sue I heard it in England but before you began lacemaking.

Happy Lacemaking,
Betty Ann Rice, Roanoke, Virginia USA