A foam roller can be a problem, depending on the type of foam.  I had a pillow
with the roller made of a piece of pool noodle foam.  After making about 3 or
so yards of lace around the middle of it, I found I had a 'ditch' down the
middle instead of a smooth roller.  When I dis-assembled the roller, I found
the pool noodle.  It's not good ethafoam and broke down very fast.  I remade
the roller with strips of wool wound around it, then replaced the fancy cover.
Now it will last longer than I expect to live.

I like the feel of pinning into the wool roller.  It holds the pins well.

Alice in Oregon -- with more cold and snow predicted after two days of sun.  I
hope spring comes early.