Hi all, and Pat T. who wrote:

"The nicest part about pre-pricking, aside from accuracy is sometimes
I can feel the hole before I can see it."

That is excellent Pat, and this is coming from a stubborn on-the-go
person. I seldom pre-prick except Honiton! Not even for fine
Buckspoint. Keep up the good work.

I almost always do a one-of from a paper printout. Sometimes I've used
the one-of pricking a few times over. The record was 12, for a
Christmas ornament. Yes it was getting ratty by the 12th use, but it
was quick and easy and I had great fun by varying the colours and
threads...If I hadn't been so in the moment, I would have placed the
pricking on light card, and taped over it with magic mending tape -
cheaply available, gives a protective non-glare (matte) surface, and
the adhesive doesn't interfere, in the short run. Even then I wouldn't
bother pre-pricking.

For some the pre-pricking is more relaxing than making the lace. For
most, pre-pricking the pattern is simply part of the lacemaking
process. Have the confidence to do whatever you like ;)

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada