With a little research, I see successful attempts to make or replace
architect's
linen has been accomplished using Weldbond glue/adhesive in a 50:50 ratio
(Weldbond to water) on brown wrapping/packaging paper (or heavier), or could be
to linen, itself.  There is hope in making your own linen or fabric version,
but
the trick would be that Weldbond adheres (to) most anything, so a non-stick
surface may be a consideration to serve as a mold/surface to work on.  I have
not worked with this product, but note it's range of use is from art supplies,
to construction (and even concrete.)  Perhaps a good liquid starching would
even
do.  With lace making being a bit of an arduous or diligent task anyway, I
suppose that treating one's own core medium, resulting in what one specifically
desires, is not out of the question.

Query: Needlelacers, do you tend to pre-prick before sewing down your couching
or outlines, or just work with your needle?  I think it is easier on the hands,
and helps  with the execution/placement to pre-prick at times.  Bobbin lacers,
do some of you pre-prick also (aside from the lace styles that are almost
exclusively done that way).

Best,
Susan Reishus