Just to point out that Hide isn't really a mis-spelling of Hyde, it's a
phonetic spelling.

When it is possible that neither the bobbin maker or lacemaker would have
reached 21st century requirements for literacy (and let's face it, that level
isn't very high) then Hide is perfectly acceptable.

Even in the Parish records, where would assume the parish clerk would most
likely be fairly well educated, the spellings change according to what the
name was heard as.  If the person registering the event couldn't read, they
weren't in a position to say.  I have this all the time as my surname is
Tinch - quite unusual.  It gets written as Linch, Pinch or Finch.  NO, Teeee
for
Tango.

Jacquie in Licolnshire