This is an interesting thread and for once I thought to read all messages
before replying.

I agree with 'restoration' if it is done sensitively, but about use I think
I will have to say that it depends on the individual.
My experience so far has been that I only use my antique wooden bobbins, but
some of the spangles on these have broken through use, meaning they will now
need 'restoration'. Unfortunately I have no way of using the same type of
old wire to redo these spangles. Thankfully they are just old and antique
but not special bobbins. If old wood is used in restoration, as in furniture
restoration, I'm sure it is acceptable. Alternatively, one can 'conserve'
meaning to halt any further deterioration.

As for putting bobbins in a frame. Can I ask if anyone out there has any
ideas on how to do this effectively.
I have quite a collection of antique bone bobbins, and some new ones as
well, but am afraid to use them because here in Malta we have mainly hard
tile floors and only put down carpets and rugs for the 'winter' months (our
winter, not cold winter!). This means that a bone bobbin that falls off the
pillow would most likely break.....so that's a definite no-no for me and the
only way of enjoying these bobbins is putting them in a display frame -
better than keeping them in a box in the cupboard.

Karen in Mlata