Well, Malvary...  here's an idea that just popped into my head!

How about you get some colorful FIMO, and work that into the ridges of the bands/plugs, and then let it dry. I think that once it's dry, it's fairly durable. But, if you ever wanted it off, it could be chipped out. If you got two or three nice colors, you could blend them "snake"- wise, so that when you put them in the grooves, you'd have the distinct colors. It could be rather festive!

Let me know if this works!

There's also the silver modeling paste used to make jewelry, but it's far more expensive and I've never worked with it. Don't know if heat is required or not.

Clay