Dear Sr. Claire,
I don't see any copyright issues here at all.  You are taking inspiration from
the painting(s) and creating a totally different work or 'art'.
Do keep us up to date on your progress!  And good luck to you.

You do have to be careful here. The problem lies in the fact that with Aboriginal Culture it is the subject matter which is often sacred or belonging to that particular artist etc. In this case you're probably quite OK, but before going too far I would be emailing a relevant authority and ensuring there are no obstacles in the way.

David in Ballarat