Nathalie didn't say she thought knitting developed to imitate lace, she  
wondered if "lace knitting" developed to imitate lace. We know knitting is 
very  old. I don't claim to know the history of knitting, but I think the 
Vikings were  doing it, and they probably weren't the first. But the question 
about lace  knitting is interesting. Certainly the technology was present, but 
were people  making very loose airy knitting prior to the development of 
lace? Lace seems to  have developed only in Europe and as a response to changes 
in European fashion,  ie. the need to embellish the necklines of 
underblouses in the late 15th, early  16th century, and then ran amok, what 
with the 
Flemish linen industry, Ruffs,  etc. Knitting does seem better suited to 
keeping people warm than to making  items full of holes that must be less warm 
than Fair Isle Sweaters, for  instance.
 
Do those lacey Shetland shawls predate the lace craze in fashion? If so, it 
 would have formed what we think of as a lace aesthetic prior to the 
development  of lace as we know it.
 
I am photographing a lace collection which includes some rather clunky  
knitted lace edgings, yards of them. They are not delicate, yet, I think they  
were intended to look like lace, but heavy, ugly lace. I can't imagine what 
they  were used for.They seem too heavy for underwear. Pillow cases perhaps? 
 Embellishment for costumes that relied too highly on the assurances 
contained in  women's handicraft magazines that you could make your own lace? I 
think they  probably date from the late 19th or even the early 20th century. 
They have the  kind of profound ugliness that you often see on things that 
date from the  1930s.
 
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003

Reply via email to