In all the years I have demonstrated, I have never before had such an
experience!

Carol, I think the answer lies in that sentence.

If you add to that all the years all the rest of us have demonstrated
without having met such vile people, then you were extremely unlucky, and
lightning rarely strikes twice.

Yes, share your beautiful lace and bobbins with the world, but at the same
time take a few more precautions.  As you say "many beautiful bobbins" I
assume they were spangled Midlands.  How about using some invisible
thread/fishing line through the spangles, knotted around a pin through every 10
or so
pairs, so that first of all it is not obvious how they are held, and secondly
it would be not so easy or quick for them to be released.  They can then be
spread out as if in work.

Another thing is to make sure that it is not in a place where it could
possibly be "accidently" knocked over, such as at the back of a larger display
table that should solve that, as well as making it harder for it to be
interfered with.

Put it down to experience, and we have all learnt that if we should ever
meet such unpleasant people, we need to be up on our feet quickly, quietly
moving nearer to intervene.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire