I suggested to Lorelei that the ground in the pictures was whole stitch pin
 whole stitch and she replied that that was what she meant by Brussels
ground.
I am not very good with ground names because I find that stitch
descriptions are more accurate. But, I went to Cassell illustrated Dictionary
of
Lacemaking and they claim that the Brussels ground is a droschel ground.
According to the book, "Each hexagon consists of two vertical plaits of six or
seven half stitches, followed by an extra twist on each pair so that the
diagonal pairs linking the plaits have a total of two twists.   The  term is
sometimes erroneously applied to Mechlin ground, a lace with a similar  ground
although having a shorter plaits."
If one were to do wholestitch pin wholestitch or some variation of that,
ie. Wholestich pin linen stitch, one might get the same number of crosses and
 twists, which is kind of an interesting realization that I had not thought
of.  But I believe that Brussels and Mechlin are actually worked as plaits,
and I  don't think they have a pin in the middle of the plait. In fact,
although I have  never done it myself, I was under the impression that it was
worked without pins  at all.
I feel that the picture looks as though there is a distinct pin hole  in
the middle of the ground stitch, or plait, if you will. Whether this is
achieved with a single twist, or a double twist around the pin I don't know,
and
I don't know what it is called.
What are the common names for grounds? I just looked up Dieppe ground, a
name I recall, and it is half stitch pin half stitch. Spanish ground is half
stitch twist pin half stitch and twist, according to Cassel, resulting in
two  twists around the pin, which is sort of noticeable, and which I might
consider  to be a candidate if the picture on picassa was clearer. Also the
picture seems  to be accompanied by a Spanish language caption, but I don't
know if there  if there is any real association between Spanish lace and the
use of the Spanish  stitch. I think that neither of these grounds would be
inconsistent with  what Lorelei notes as looking like a torchon lace.
However, the thought process has gotten me to thinking about ground names.
Is there any place where you can find all the ground names grouped together
with  all the variations in names? And is there any significance to the use
of  varioius torchon grounds? I realize that Brussels, Mechlin,
Valenciennes, etc,  are chiefly identified by the grounds, but there are a lot
of other
 grounds.
Thanks Lorelei, for opening this line of inquiry.
Devon