It has occurred to me, though I have never met him, that David may be a
good deal taller than most of the women on Arachne, and he may be looking at
his  pillow from a different vantage point.  This could make it easier for
him  to see where to position pins, and to not miss any.

Not only do women tend to be shorter, they actually shrink as they  age.
And a great many current lacemakers cannot claim youth as  an attribute.  (I
have shrunk, and so have several friends.)  This  means we have to stretch
or sometimes stand when working at lace pillows  - in order to see what our
lace looks like and if we need to retro-lace to  make a correction!

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center