It is about 10 years since I wrote on Arachne about an exhibit of Queen
Victoria's clothing at Kensington Palace.  To properly protect the gowns,
individual mannequins were custom made to fit the clothing.  It was then  that
textile professionals realized that she had lost an astonishing 4" in
height in her later years, a fact that seemed to never have been noted.  In
1837
she was believed to have been 4' 11".  Her late 1890's dresses suggest  a
height of 4' 7" or at most 4' 8".

Per pg. 171 of "In Royal Fashion - The Clothes of Princess Charlotte  of
Wales and Queen Victoria 1796-1901" by Kay Staniland - published by Museum of
London 1997.

There is a lot of lace content in this lavishly-illustrated book.   I've
given enough information that those who would like to order the book from
Interlibrary Loan will be able to do so, especially in this year of a royal
wedding.

A lot of "Queen Victoria" files exist, going back years, at
_www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html)

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center