I still have my first lace pillow from back in 1990.  It is an 18" SMP
polystrene which my lace teacher sold to me for £8 together with a cover and a
cover cloth.

It was only when I went to my first Springett's fair that september did I
realise that I could have bought direct from them and got it cheaper.  I was a
little annoyed because the money to buy the equipment had not come from the
teacher - it infact came from our employer who gave us £500 for supplies and
books.  We were supposed to borrow from the equipment library then if we
wanted the equipment we bought it and the money was used to replace it with
new stuff.  Because our teacher didn't work for the company but her husband
did I think a couple of the people invovled saw a chance to make a little
money.

Anyway back to my pillow.

It was a lovely shape to start learning on because the dome was really high.
This meant that the bobbins hung well on the pillow and being high they didn't
need to have short threads to prevent them hitting the table. I loved that
pillow.  I used it every day for a year.

Unfortunately the centre is virtually distroyed.

One of my most prized pillows is by Rosemary Robinson (it's her large fan
pillow where the centre is circular and moves within the main pillow) not just
because of the design but because she always layers felt onto her polystrene
so if it does start to break up it will be kept in place.

Kind Regards

Liz Baker

thelace...@btinternet.com

My chronicle of my bobbins can be found at my website:
http://thelacebee.weebly.com/