I am not sure if I told you, but a very good Arachne friend of mine alluded to
my total lack of knowledge about hand carved bobbins (In a private email)  I
took great exception to this comment for one reason only... she was right :(

Happily we are still on "speaking terms".  :)

What it did do was to spark off in me a line of  low grade research in
preparation for an article on such bobbins which I fear will reveal how little
I do know about them.

I write this note to express my surprise at one little tid-bit I have
discovered in my investigation, which may well have a bearing on these lovely
objects.  It is that "chip carving became so popular in later Victorian times
as a "great many"   ladies-of-leisure took it up as a hobby".

Now there is a thought to conger with.  Lace maker ladies carving their own
bobbins?  MMMmmmm!

Dear Arachne friend.... I do have a lot to learn, and I have not even started
the article yet.

Brian and Jean
>From Cooranbong. Australia
You can read my bobbin stuff on: