With apologies for coming into this discussion very late, another question occurs to me. Lyn, who I believe started this discussion, made reference to a "good pillow of cherry with three drawers...". That sounds suspiciously <g> like a Simon Toustou pillow. Simon fills his pillows with sawdust. So, I'm wondering if one should have any concerns about 'off-gassing' on such a pillow, or would the covering (velvet or velveteen...unsure if something else under that, but expect there would be some sort of tightly woven fabric) be sufficient protection for lace which might be left unfinished for any length of time (not that *I* would ever be guilty of such a thing <vbg>). It would seem that storage a sawdust-filled pillow in any sort of closed container might not be a good idea...?

Vicki in Maryland

The thing that makes paper/cardboard acidic is that it's made from
wood pulp. Wood, especially cheap wood like plywood, will definitely be acidic and have off-gassing problems. Now, granted, most bobbin lace pillows have at least a wood base, sometimes more wood than that. This means enclosing the pillow in an air-tight container will have at least that much wood that could cause damage to the lace. And, of course, many (most?) of our other tools are wooden. Personally, I think any of these things benefit from circulating air or acid-absorbing wrappings>