Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brenda - that's just the information I needed.

Thanks too to Susan - The reference to Corticelli Buttonhole Twist was the only "Corticelli" I'd found in Brenda's thread book. The Etsy site was worth looking at. I'd googled "purse silk" " purse twist", but not "silk purse twist" which came up with some different sites. In particular a blog from someone who had the same questions as I in 2008. Anyone who's interested in what she found out:

http://patternsalacarte.blogspot.com/2008/09/so-what-is-purse-twist-anyway.html

I will also take up Jane's suggestion of contacting Pearsall's to see if they have any historical information which can be applied to today's threads
.
Thanks to everyone who's contributed. I've got plenty to think about - think it will be a little while before I get to the bobbin lace one!

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK