A word of caution for those producing and selling their own books. In the UK, you are classed as self-employed if you do anything to earn money yourself, even if you already have a job. Under the age of 60 I had to apply for exemption from self-employed National Insurance contributions, firstly on the grounds that I was employed and already paying employed contributions, and, when I retired still under 60, for exemption on grounds of small earnings. I was warned that if I had not done this, I could be charged the self-employed contributions if they found out I had this small amount of earnings.

Secondly, I published under a pen name and after about 5 years got a letter from the tax office addressed to me asking if I knew where the person of that name was living. The publisher submits information to the tax office on royalties paid. I explained that that person was me, and that they could check their records and see that I had paid the income tax due on my earnings from the books.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK