Ilse said "A very small knot is hardly noticed in larger pieces."

And therein lies the difference between the common practice on the
continent and the UK.

We tend to double up the thread for a SHORT distance, rather than
knotting.  I say short because some people forget they are working with  double
thread and just keep going.  I have seen pillows where several  threads are
being replaced at the same time (try to avoid that) and they are all  being
worked as double threads!  Yes, this will show.  And contrary to  most people's
instinct, the most inconspicuous place to double up the new thread  to
replace a fan worker is in the tightest short rows at the end/start of fans,
rather than in the more spread out bit in the centre.  These are the ones  most
likely to run out.

When I was in Spain, one of my Hinojosa pillows was being used as a
demonstration pillow, and when three threads were broken over course of the
week,
the replacements were knotted in.  I just shrugged and thought "When  in
Rome...."   But when I got home and looked properly, the first of  the three
knots (ie furthest back!) had neatly positioned itself in the dead  centre of
one of the twisted bars of thread.  That I could not live with so  the
whole lot was undone and redone without knots.

Back to Sue's original question.
According to Geraldine Stott in her "A Visual Introduction to Bucks Point
Lace", four times the length of pricking is a good rule of thumb, so it
sounds  as if you are spot on.  You have realised the exception of the fan
workers  and if there is a continous trail, for example, those workers would
also
 need some extra thread.  But as you are measuring the amount of thread you
 are putting on, why not measure how much thread you have left to help you
better  judge for your next piece.

I agree with Ilse that it is often better to join threads in than to waste
loads, and if you are doing a large project you need to bite the bullet and
 accept that you are going to have to add threads at intervals rather than
overfilling your bobbins in the hopes that it will be enough.  But for a
smaller project, where the bobbins are big enough to hold all the thread in
one  go, it is really frustrating to get to within the last few inches and
have to  start replacing thread after thread.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire