I purchased Catherine's book fairly recently, after months and months of
searching, so wouldn't need it.  I strongly prefer hard copy, so probably
would not purchase digital unless it was the only option, fwiw.  I really
dislike anything other than hard copy books (for instance Interweave is going
strongly that way) and tend to ignore, or rarely purchase something and just
print out what I need.  BTW, some have problems with their magazine forms
being printable, but that may be moot and change.  Now, to be able to purchase
a particular pattern and download and print it is OK, but not my favorite,
either.  The perk is you can have it instantly, of course.  I check AZ,
Gutenburg and Antique Library, but the digital forms are off-putting to me.
Nice to be able to peruse it though, and I go on looking for the rare copy if
I love it.

Inter-Library Loan is fading also, as I have asked for books that
used to be available, and they are gone.  Librarians say that rules are
changing to it staying within the library itself, or country (sometimes Canada
won't loan certain things to USA anymore when I have checked on a few items,
and probably the converse-I don't know about the other side).  This is because
dishonesty has increased and people keep them.  The library's replacement fee
for any lost book is about $25, so people figure that they are getting an OOP
book, inexpensively.  They say it is lost and perhaps pay nothing, or at
worst, $25.  What they don't think about, is the hundreds or thousands of
people who are short changed the rich experience of that book.

I once had
a Shetland Lace library book stolen out of the front seat of my car, when I
thought my car was locked.  Who would have thought that someone interested in
a fairly rare technique, would have passed by and done that kind of thing?
About 35 years ago, I found an incredible knitting book, full of hundreds of
lace and other things for infant to toddler, and bed jackets for the mother.
Checked it out several times and the last time, I got a funny feeling and
thought I would photocopy the whole book.  Decided to check it out again a
year or two later, and they said that a woman checked it out and kept it.
They knew who it was, she had done it before, but just shrugged their
shoulders, saying they could do nothing.  I was deeply saddened about all of
the people who were short changed an incredible knitting journey with this
book.

Best,
Susan Reishus