As I stated before, it is just plain tragic, as dozens or hundreds of others
don't get to use the books.  Evidently this woman Liz is talking about, saved
herself loads of time ferreting out books online/from booksellers, and got
them for something close to original asking price.  Once the demand was made
for another person wanting to borrow same, she projected her own agenda onto
the other, fearing someone else would keep it so tried to beat them to the
punch.  It is so sad.  I too, have returned books twice and asked them to scan
and they said they were busy...then got a note later than my book wasn't
returned.  I got so I took my young child in with me as my witness, and asked
them to scan in front of me and never used the drop box.  I have not borrowed
lace books, as they are generally nearly impossible to find in the US (in part
because of this), and the few in our state are kept at the hosting library,
and you have to go there and peruse it
 on site because of this kind of abuse.  When a Shetland Lace Knitting book
was stolen from my car, I decided it was jeopardizing the technique (was a
loan from Canada) and I never borrowed OOP books again.  Lacemaking loses as a
whole, as people cannot readily source and give up.  I think some need to try
it first before investing a lot in books, pillows and bobbins, and may not
know of Lace groups that also loan.  I wonder if loaning guilds have the same
problem...hopefully not, and it is a smaller group, perhaps to hold everyone
more accountable.

One comment about the wool blend blanket, is I think that
synthetics tend to dull pins (even more than ethafoam, etc.)  Years of
cutting, pinning, serging things that have synthetics in the textile (compared
to natural fibers), they greatly shorten their life.  Perhaps moot for some,
but long term is worth considering when putting work into something and $20
boxes of pins, and repetitive stress kinds of issues.  It would be worth it to
me to go and buy pure wool and felt it in the washer, imho.

Best,
Susan
Reishus