Imagine a Lace Challenge on Project Runway. Contestants stand outside a mysterious room from whence comes clacking noises (remember the wrestling challenge?). Open the door and you see about fifty bobbinlace makers. And they could come from USA, England, Brazil, Spain, Russia, all over. Especially the last three where lacemaking is very much alive and well. Just look at the LaceNews YouTube collection, these countries break records in videos. The contestents are assigned a team of lacemakers with which to work, and in 1-3 days come up with a handmade lace design. As an alternative, they could all be taken to the Met or somewhere to look at great examples from their collections. This has been on my list of top ten desires for several years. How could it be accomplished?

Regarding the discussion about the demise of lacemaking, which I've been following. I relate to this in the beginnings of the Minnesota Lace Society in the late 70's. It was an organization of very strong-willed women, mostly in their 20's, out to make the best adventure we could, while at the same time working, going to school, and we were not distracted by the Internet or Social Media, or gaming or anything like that. We had yet to get careers, and were only thinking about families. Lacemaking offered a wonderful, broad challenge. For my two cents, lacemaking in America is not making use of the Internet like it should. How can you attract young people if you don't offer them the learning opportunities they have grown up with? I hear too much discussion about how to get books published, and distribution of magazines. Every magazine in the country is under pressure from what you can just get on the Web, and let's face it; even FiberArts just tanked. Compare and contrast this with countries like Spain and Brazil and Russia, where there was always a broad professional industry well into the late 20th century. The skills are being passed to the children as a matter of course. Somehow I don't think the computer age has taken hold there quite as well as it has in the US. This is not derrogatory, I sometimes teach in Lisbon and the University of Barcelona, and am becoming more familiar with that part of the world. You wonder why things are dying in the US. We have no professional tradition, no incentive to pass skills onto the children. And what they can find on the net are not centers of attraction for their interest. This has got to change, and it is the primary reason that I'm putting so much effort into internet resources with the LaceNews sites (more will come). And you know, every time I see photos of Americans at lace conventions, etc. - we all look so old. Including me. The advance of computers will kill lacemaking far more efficiently than anything we can do. Another interesting thing, in trying to list all the Lace Days in England, it's fairly rare that a group will have a web site - a little better in the US, but not much. Lacemakers, who should be passing on their skills, or even just learning them because they are now retired, and have the time, are not always computer literate. We need to fix this. We need to make it easy to join an organization (Paypal Lace Guild!!!). We need to move the discussion into the present, not speculate about the past. Make this a special topic in some of the upcoming lace conventions, where ever they are. Funny - scuba diving is another of my passions, and organizations like PADI are talking exactly this way - how to move into the computer age.
Laurie
http://lacenews.net