You could use fray check which is used frequently in sewing and quilting. I often but a dab of it on knots when tatting or finishing lace as well. It won't affect the thread colour. However, don't put a bit blob on as it does harden.

Nita R.in Calgary just after our first frost with beautiful fall colour all around us. We normally have frost by the beginning of September.