Hello Susan and everyone
Scarf pattern:
For the first row you can either do P 1, P2 tog. across or K 1, K2
tog. across and that row is repeated for every row of the lace part.
Stocking(s) stitch is stockinette stitch, written st st usually - over
two rows, knit 1 row, purl 1 row.

The crochet is just to bring your thread back to the bottom of the
most recently made strip so that you can start the next one. You don't
do this for the last strip because you will be picking up all the
stitches set aside on safety pins to continue the scarf. There is a
second set of strips that are woven through the first set before
resuming the st st rows and lace.

If this really is foreign to you, and you would still like to try it,
I suggest following the instructions using garter stitch (knit every
row). The garter stitch on large needles will give a lace-like effect,
and the smaller size needles will condense the work as needed.

A tip to try if there isn't a picture, read through the instructions
carefully, sketching each section as if you have just finished
knitting it to get the general idea of what it looks like ;)

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada