For our Newbies:

If you have antique laces and are considering  starching, I recommend no
extra heat.  This is because we tell people not  to put antique laces in an
environment where temperature and humidity  fluctuate.  Fluctuations cause
lace fibers to contract and expand, adding  imperceptible wear to lace threads.

For antiques:  Washing water (distilled) should be at  room temperature.
Orvus soap should be used.  Drying should be at  room temperature.

I have written extensively on Arachne about how to care for heirloom
laces.  You may have missed the memos but can probably find them under  "lace
conservation" or "washing lace" in our archives.  Conservation  is when you do
nothing that will permanently change the item in any way.   If you err, you
may have to mend laces, and that is called  "restoration".  Restoration
means that the antique is no longer in  original condition and usually devalues
the item quite a bit.

_http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html)

This warning is to save you the heartbreak that comes from ruining a
family lace that has great meaning to you.

Jeri Ames  in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center