2 years ago I worked a lace garter using my own design, with guttermann silk
and it is sitting in my box waiting for the first bride.   I loved the look
and the feel of it, but have always been a little concerned about whether it
would just flop and fold in half at the centre point along the line for the
elastic and ribbon gathering.
When checking out patterns on the internet recently I bought a new one that
just grabbed my attention and I just had to have it, which showed two layers
of lace.   Once I received the new pattern I ignored the top layer and went on
to rework the underlayer changing the heart shape fans for ordinary fans down
the outside edges, honeycomb down the centre to take the elastic and ribbon
and the rest in torchon grid.   My top layer already had heart shape fans and
I wanted the contrast.   Buying the pattern was a good way of having a lesson
in ideas and pattern making:-)
I began the strip on a straight line across rather than the offset way with
fans, diamonds and other pattern shapes, as there was no obvious places to
disguise the threads at the end, thinking that at least I would hide that
point by attaching ribbon and flower decoration.
Can I ask what other arachnians would have done please?

Sue T
Dorset UK
www.hurwitzend.co.uk