I was looking for the other charms that my brain couldn't think of, of course I knew there were more than horseshoe, but couldn't for the life of me think what. I have had several suggestions of the 4 leaf clover, and one or two others, you have gone the whole hog with a lovely long list. In the mean time I did actually click on charms and found some good ones, most of these. I didn't remember the chimney sweep, but had seen the rings (which I have on my charm bracelet) saw the clover leaf, heart, cats and bells. I think I will probably buy and store several of the best which I hope will keep their charm and significance down the years and generations. That way whoever has custody of the garter when I have gone to the lacemaker lesson in the sky can add their choice.

I feel I ought to make them aware of the hours taken and a sort of value of the garter, as well as why it was made. My DH is worried that I might be hurt by the attigude of some of the modern youth will not share the love of the tradition but I think it should only be offered for use on the day of those brides with the right attitude. Taking about 9 weeks to work one layer and 8 for the second, that is a lot of hours work. (approx 300 hours) plus a little design work time and materials Nobody else in my family are lace makers so the lacemaker charms although they sound lovely are not relevant, birthsigns in the early years when I have access to garter and bride and I could let them keep the charm. (ooh I like that idea). I am definately going to have a hard time choosing charms, good fun though.
Sue T

If you really want to go crazy and go for charms associated with love and weddings, look up the silver charms sold for charm bracelets - loads of ideas on ebay: church; bride and groom; engagement, wedding and eternity rings; cat; horseshoe; chimney sweep; four-leaf clover; heart; key to my heart; wishing well; wishbone; wedding bells; baby shoes; stork and baby; cradle; pixie; birth signs of the bride and groom.

And if you want one to represent the lacemaker, there's the lacemaker charm, Catherine wheel, hedgehog or a spider in a web.

Jean in Poole, Dorset,UK