Hi Sue:

New clothing in any strong colour will often do this. What happens is that
there are molecules of dye left on the surface of the cloth that aren't stuck
on very well, so they rub off on whatever touches them. During the day the
outside of your top didn't come in contact with any one surface for a long time
so although molecules were coming off you didn't notice them. Good thing you
didn't sit for a long time on, say, a white sofa! But of course your undies
came into contact with your top for the whole day and they took on enough of
the dye molecules for the transfer to become visible. The good news is that the
dye molecules aren't stuck on to your undies any more than they were stuck onto
your top. They should come out in the wash.

The white lacy insert is more difficult. From your description it sounds like
it is part of the top, so you can't wash it separately. If the top is of a
synthetic fibre, following the normal washing instructions should work. If your
top is cotton (or part cotton) you might have problems - I've seen cotton where
the dye came out a little bit each washing until a deep red top was medium
pink! If a cotton top were just one colour you could pre-soak it in water with
"soda ash" -  baking soda will do. If it is cotton that will act as a fixative
- helping the dye stick on better. But since you've got the white insert I
think that process would also help the red molecules stick onto the white part,
which wouldn't help you and might make it worse. (if the garment is wool, try
using vinegar)

The most dramatic advice I've ever read on this came from Paton's (and they
should know!) and was in reference to items cross-stitched with their cotton
embroidery floss, where one or more of the colours had run. They said to wash
it in *hot* water and dry it quickly. I did this with one thing I had, and it
worked well. If you don't have a machine dryer, I'd suggest using a blowdryer
on and around the white insert. If the item is left to airdry the colour is
more likely to run.

And of course if your garment won't take hot water you're out of luck.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)